Graphical Distribution Upgrades

Richard Turner rjt at zygous.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 08:41:26 UTC 2015

On 8 April 2015 at 08:52, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com> wrote:

> if developers are the primary user group, is it unreasonable to expect
> that they will use a shell once or twice per year to perform the upgrades?

That's a big "if", isn't it? Do we have any real figures about who our
users are, or plans to find out? I digress, but it seems like a short
survey of the kind Stack Overflow did (and Matthew Miller mentioned in
another thread) might be a good way to learn more about our users,
especially if it's triggered during initial set-up or post-upgrade.

It may be fair to say that developers are our primary target user group, in
which case I agree that expecting them to use a shell to upgrade is fine
(It's not like "sudo fedup --network 22" is a complicated command). Still,
notifying the user that there's a new major version available to upgrade to
is worthwhile. There's an argument that targeting developers is a bit of a
cop-out though; assuming some technical expertise on behalf of our users
could be an excuse not to make stuff as user-friendly as it might be.

I've actually installed Fedora for a couple of my family members because I
think GNOME Shell provides a more user-friendly UI than many alternatives,
and Fedora ships a great GNOME Shell set-up. As Fedora users they're in a
very small minority I'm sure, but they'd certainly benefit from a graphical
upgrade process (or at least, I would in that I'd not need to do the
upgrades for them).

--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."