Graphical Distribution Upgrades

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 8 20:57:16 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 09:41:26AM +0100, Richard Turner wrote:
> > if developers are the primary user group, is it unreasonable to expect
> > that they will use a shell once or twice per year to perform the upgrades?
> That's a big "if", isn't it?

It is the target audience for Fedora Workstation, which is a subset of
Fedora overall — but also one of our current big, main areas of focus.
See: <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Workstation_PRD>
and, for that matter, <https://getfedora.org/>.

>                         Do we have any real figures about who our
> users are, or plans to find out? I digress, but it seems like a short
> survey of the kind Stack Overflow did (and Matthew Miller mentioned in
> another thread) might be a good way to learn more about our users,
> especially if it's triggered during initial set-up or post-upgrade.

We've had on-and-off plans but it hasn't gone very far yet. However,
this is one of the things Remy DeCausemaker, who fills the new "Community
Action and Impact" role on the Fedora Council, will be working on.
Metrics are important, for decision making and for validating that
those decisions were right.

> It may be fair to say that developers are our primary target user group, in
> which case I agree that expecting them to use a shell to upgrade is fine
> (It's not like "sudo fedup --network 22" is a complicated command). Still,
> notifying the user that there's a new major version available to upgrade to
> is worthwhile. There's an argument that targeting developers is a bit of a
> cop-out though; assuming some technical expertise on behalf of our users
> could be an excuse not to make stuff as user-friendly as it might be.

I think this concern is fairly well addressed in the PRD above....

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>