Graphical Distribution Upgrades

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Thu Apr 9 17:43:44 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

I would also want to point out that being able to use the command line
isn't the same as wanting to at every opportunity. The challenge with
command line stuff is that they tend to require more work from the users
in terms of reading docs or howtos. So while using command lines might
be quicker and more efficient for stuff you want to do on a daily basis,
for the reason I explained above they can be really annoying for this you
do on an irregular basis. For instance I personally use git so rarely these
days that I have to google for the commands everytime I want to tag a release
to get the syntax right.
So I think that even people who like using the command line prefer having
easy to use graphic tools for tasks they don't do all the time, because the
graphics tools can be a lot of self explanatory if designed well.

Another example is that there is quite a bit of excitement in the Docker community
these days about Kitematic, so while one could claim that the docker developers
are 'command line' people, they still like having nice UI tools for certain
things.

And I think the annoyance with command line tools tend to be a bit cumulative,
so nobody would probably be to annoyed if they had one thing they did once a
year requiring a set of terminal commands, but as things requiring command line
interactions add up and you feel you need to google for commands on a weekly basis
 it for sure becomes an annoyance, especially if you know that other operating systems
do not require this of you.

So we don't have the resources of course to provide UI tools for every possible task
out there, but I think system upgrades is such a core thing of your system that we want
to make it feel polished and effortless.

Christian