Graphical Distribution Upgrades

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 21:45:23 UTC 2015

hi
I'll second this. System upgrades sound simple on the surface, but
they're among the hardest to troubleshoot if something goes wrong, so
if we do this, we need to make sure it's as bulletproof as possible,
and that means dealing with nontraditional ... well, pretty much
everything. Strange partition layouts, 3rd party repos, the works. If
we don't, we're likely to get some windows user in our irc channels
... well, being windows users. Why isn't this working, windows "just
works" ... etc. Back on topic. I'd be willing to test this if a
graphical distro upgrader ever becomes available, especially for
accessibility. Could I make a request while I'm at it? If one is
implemented, would it be possible to have an upgrade screen similar to
the fedora welcome screen, but containing upgrade progress messages
and a progress bar? I know plymouth method is easier but there's no
way for accessibility tools to get at that info so I'm stuck looking
at a redhat logo and some text I can't read while it upgrades. Of
course, this brings the question of can gdm be upgraded while it's
being used to display that screen? I'm not sure, I'm still new to
fedora, having switched a month ago.
Thanks
Kendell clark
Sent from Fedora GNU/Linux