Instant Messaging in Fedora Workstation

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Fri Apr 24 17:19:23 UTC 2015

My humble opinion:

I work a bit with journalists and secure communications protocols are
a hard requirement for many of them. So I would support everything
Tails (https://tails.boum.org/) supports. In other words, OTR is a
hard requirement.

That said, rather than try and re-engineer Fedora Workstation I'd make
a text-based Docker image with all of the outstanding command-line
messaging tools in Fedora - for example, irssi, bitlbee and maybe text
email clients. I think I know the packages that need to be in it - if
anyone's interested I'll post a Dockerfile on https://hub.docker.com/.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Jiri Eischmann <eischmann at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Empathy, which is our default IM client, has been dead upstream for some
> time, so I'd like to start a discussion about what instant messaging
> experience should look like in Fedora Workstation.
>
> I've already written two blog posts about it. The goal of the first one
> was to describe the situation and collect input from users:
> https://eischmann.wordpress.com/2015/04/19/instant-messaging-in-fedora-workstation/
>
> The second one already works with user feedback from two surveys:
> https://eischmann.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/instant-messaging-in-fedora-workstation-2/
>
> It pretty much comes down to a question if we want to build a well
> integrated multi-protocol client (continuing with Empathy/Pidgin, or
> starting GNOME Chat) or if we should give it up and embrace all those
> popular, unfortunately mostly closed services (Skype, Messenger,
> Hangouts, Telegram...) and make them as integrated in the desktop as
> possible. The latter would probably clash a bit with one of our 4
> foundation - freedom.
>
> Jiri
>
> --

OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for Digital Journalists
http://www.znmeb.mobi/stories/osjourno-robust-power-tools-for-digital-journalists

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.