Instant Messaging in Fedora Workstation

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 24 18:02:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Jiri Eischmann <eischmann at redhat.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
> Empathy, which is our default IM client, has been dead upstream for
> some
> time, so I'd like to start a discussion about what instant messaging
> experience should look like in Fedora Workstation.

Thanks for opening the discussion. This is actually a pain for many of
our users (and ourselves). I know many people (myself included) who
don't use Empathy at all because of lack of OTR support. They switch to
pidgin despite the lack of Gnome integration.

> It pretty much comes down to a question if we want to build a well
> integrated multi-protocol client (continuing with Empathy/Pidgin, or
> starting GNOME Chat) or if we should give it up and embrace all those
> popular, unfortunately mostly closed services (Skype, Messenger,
> Hangouts, Telegram...) and make them as integrated in the desktop as
> possible.

Although It would be nice to have as many as possible services
integrated with Online Accounts, moving away from Jabber will be a
disappointment for the majority of our community/users. I tend to
disagree with what you write at your blog post. Jabber usage is
increasing since Snowden. Many journalists rely on Jabber/OTR to work.
A lot of well-known Jabber servers were forced to rate limit
registrations due to increased demand over the last year.

Although I don't have a solution to offer I'd really hoped that Gnome
Chat would have a more rapid development.