Instant Messaging in Fedora Workstation

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 18:07:06 UTC 2015

Allan Day píše v Pá 24. 04. 2015 v 18:33 +0100:
> >> Empathy, which is our default IM client, has been dead upstream for some
> >> time, so I'd like to start a discussion about what instant messaging
> >> experience should look like in Fedora Workstation.
>
> This will largely be determined by whatever decisions are made
> upstream in the GNOME project. (Chat is integrated into several key
> GNOME modules - such as the shell and the control center - so it's not
> simply a matter of switching packages around.)
>
> That said, I'm sure that the GNOME release team would welcome input on
> the subject. (They have discussed this subject recently themselves.)

Sure, but one of the most important ideas behind Fedora Workstation is
not to wait for whatever upstream comes up with, package it and ship it
to users, but to communicate with upstream, participate there, and bring
the best experience to our users.
So I think it's not a bad idea to start the discussion downstream and
then provide input to involved upstream projects.

Jiri