Instant Messaging in Fedora Workstation

Ananda Samaddar ananda.samaddar at zoho.com
Sat Apr 25 17:29:20 UTC 2015

I'm a bit concerned about the enthusiasm for Telegram.  The clients may
be FOSS but the server software isn't.  In addition to this the use of
a central server is troubling with respect to metadata collection.

Has anyone considered Tox?  It's a FOSS replacement for Skype and
doesn't rely on a central server. It's still in a pre-alpha state but
has several working clients.  I've tested qTox and it works nicely
with sound and video through a firewall. There was a Gtk client (Venom)
but it's deprecated.

A large project like Fedora being interested in Tox could make all the
difference and increase traction to help move it towards a stable and
feature complete release.  I've noticed several people mentioning OTR.
Tox has encryption built in.

I could go on about it but the information is on their website and the
code is available for perusal.

Ananda