Instant Messaging in Fedora Workstation

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon Apr 27 12:26:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-04-27 at 04:43 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> It's completely true in the sense that both gnome-shell uses
> Telepathy as its chat backend

Is there any user-facing issue if there is no telepathy client
installed? There is no UI remaining for chat ANYWHERE in the shell
except the input field in the new message notification that you would
never receive without Empathy installed.

> and that the Online Accounts panel in
> control-center allow setting up Telepathy chat accounts.

Yes, this is true. I suppose we would need to rip out chat from every
type of online account. :( But if a maintainer doesn't materialize for
Empathy, we'll probably have to.

Michael