Call for agenda for Workstation WG meeting 2015-Aug-05

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 4 20:49:32 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 12:58:20PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Matthew Miller
>> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Ah, okay, thanks. How does *that* fit in with kernel team's plans?
>>
>> It mostly doesn't impact us.  We already enable EFI_MIXED in the
>> kernel.  The remaining work is in shim and grub afaik.
>>
>> (Barring bugs and such of course.)
>
> So AIUI so far, there's no reason from the Workstation POV an i686
> tree/distro is strictly needed.  I'm assuming no one is proposing
> doing away with i686 userspace packages.  (We would certainly care

Not presently.  Though full secondary arch status would imply that (or
we'd have to redefine what secondary arch meant if we wanted to cover
multilib like RHEL).

> about that, for example because of prepackaged 32-bit software.)

Yes... but probably less so than you think.  Fedora doesn't exactly
have a strong ISV presence and maybe this docker/container thing could
help there anyway.

> * Bastien, are you going to talk to grub/shim maintainer(s)?  (I think
>   pjones works on both of these.)

I believe he has, a number of times.

josh