Repeat post

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 06:42:24 UTC 2015

hi
You know, I was just wondering a few days ago whether gnome supported
this. I assumed it did, but because I don't have a metered connection
it was hiding it from me. Here are my questions. 1, is there any
standard decently reliable way to detect a metered connection? The
easiest way would be if there were a flag set somewhere indicating
this, but this is unlikely. 2, we'd need some way to set a cutoff.
Beyond a certain point, gnome should limit network traphic or do it's
best to watch and warn you if you're getting close to your limit. This
brings up a host of problems though, which begins with the user
knowing they have a metered connection and what the limit is. In my
experience, connections aren't so much metered as in they only have so
much fast data. That is, you usually get something like 3 gb of fast
data. If you use it all, you can still use it, it just gets throttled,
and you might get charged so much per gb. I think this should be
solved but I've got no idea how. If it does, it should be in the
network area. Maybe in the ipv4 or ipv6 area, and only show up if the
connection is metered? Sorry I kind of jumped in in the middle.
Thanks
Kendell clark