GNOME Shell extensions

Donald Buchan malak at pobox.com
Fri Aug 21 14:49:20 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-20 21:12, Adam Batkin wrote:
> On 08/19/2015 07:18 AM, Kalev Lember wrote:
>> Yes, this needs some more thought. Right now the answer is that they
>> are
>> mostly meant to be installed through http://extensions.gnome.org/ web
>> interface instead.
>
> Am I the only one who finds it creepy that the only built-in way to
> manage extensions is through a web UI? Or even that you *can* manage
> extensions with a web UI?

Replying privately, since I do not possess the programming, marketing,
community building, etc. skills to effect any of the changes :) :

Now that you mention it, I do.

Seems that for as long as I can remember, certainly going back to the
early windows 3.1 days in the early 90's and even back in the 80's, most
of just about anything I've wanted to do on a computer could be done in
several ways according to the proverb "there's more than one way to skin
a cat".  My favourite example is cut and paste, you can do ctrl-c /
ctrl-v, use the options in just about every "edit menu" in any gui
software, and the options are in the menu that comes up when you do a
right-click on the screen.  No doubt there are other ways.

Is it wierd that you can manage the extensions through a web interface?
Not really.  I suppose I find it funny that CUPS seems to be designed to
be used through a web interface accessing a local port, but anyone could
make an app for that (well I couldn't), AND, that's no doubt just one of
the many ways you can control CUPS.  And that happens to be the way I
discovered one can control CUPS.  I'd say that the same logic would
apply in the generic sense to extensions.

Yes, I do wonder why there isn't a local manager app for it.  But then,
if Gnome wanted to do it that way within its limited resources, why then
isn't the same question being asked of <insert project name here with
another quirky, or not-so-quirky way of operating>?

Thank you for reading. :)

And yes, you may respond to this on the public list if you wish. :)