Let's reconsider some more applications installed by default

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 19:19:11 UTC 2015

Michael, Question for you and the mailing list at large. What about non
graphical applications?

The one in particular that comes to mind is thermald-- Intel's thermal
daemon for ensuring Intel CPU's laptops and tablets do not overheat and
stay within usual temperature ranges. Its a relatively small package, and
while this is anecdotal evidence, it seemed to keep my laptop a few degrees
coolers during compiles. Minor addition for a better user experience
(cooler laps). I've got a spec file for it laying around that use
privately, though I know there's a copr that hosts it as well.

Going back to your original question. Why will the evolution not happen?
Lack of willpower (no one wants to / Evolution is a mess) or lack of
manpower (Other things are more important)? I don't use Evolution
personally so I don't care, it just stood out to me in your original mail.

As far as Firefox / Epiphany.. I vote Firefox only because, like
LibreOffice, it's a bit of a jewel of open source software. But, if
Epiphany were to be made the default, is the team sufficiently strong and
active enough to respond to security issues in a timely manner? If
Workstation were to push a default I would hope that it would be well
supported.

Cheers!
--Ericg--