Let's reconsider some more applications installed by default

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Aug 28 19:29:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Eric Griffith <egriffith92 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael, Question for you and the mailing list at large. What about non
> graphical applications?
>
> The one in particular that comes to mind is thermald-- Intel's thermal
> daemon for ensuring Intel CPU's laptops and tablets do not overheat and stay
> within usual temperature ranges. Its a relatively small package, and while
> this is anecdotal evidence, it seemed to keep my laptop a few degrees
> coolers during compiles. Minor addition for a better user experience (cooler
> laps). I've got a spec file for it laying around that use privately, though
> I know there's a copr that hosts it as well.

If something can be done for laptop heat and battery sucking less, I'm
all for it being included by default. I can't seriously use Fedora on
my Mac laptops because they get too hot, produce MCE errors, and have
terrible battery life (worse than Windows running with CSM-BIOS mode
boot, which itself is half the battery life of OS X on the same
hardware).

I recall that hibernation isn't supposed to be used by default anymore
but rather power off, but the other day in a low power situation,
gnome put my laptop into hibernation which of course isn't configured
correctly on Fedora so it doesn't work (with or without resume=) and
that risks data loss and corruption.

The problem with all of this is when model specific configuration
becomes necessary. If that's avoidable, then great.

--
Chris Murphy