Let's reconsider some more applications installed by default

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 28 20:19:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Eric Griffith <egriffith92 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Literally the very last sentence of the documentation explicitly states that
> thermald will control the P-States of the CPU to decrease temperature
> without affecting the T-states (clock cycles) thus not harming performance.

I think that's misleading.  P-states themselves adjust voltage and
frequency, so performance can be impacted by them alone.  T-states
essentially lock the CPU even further through clock gating.  So the
documentation seems to be implying that the daemon was able to reduce
temp just through p-state adjustment and not resort to t-states would
would have impacted performance even more.  In other words, it was
able to reduce temp while limiting performance loss but not eliminate
performance loss all together.

josh