Let's reconsider some more applications installed by default

Evandro Giovanini efgiovanini at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 02:23:22 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> We can't patch Firefox without getting approval from Mozilla and still
> call it Firefox, due to trademark guidelines and such.

I think you most likely wouldn't be able to, Mozilla considers the default
Firefox look as part of their brand identity. That's also another good
reason to ship Epiphany by default - it looks and works like just another
application in a default Fedora install. It strengthen Fedora's own visual
brand identity.

And speaking of the trademark restriction, in my opinion shipping an
application that you're legally not allowed to properly integrate is pretty
bad - it goes against Fedora's mission as an integrator of free software
projects in every way. That should not be ignored now that there's a viable
alternative available without the same problems.

>> If we don't want to theme Firefox properly... Epiphany works great for
>> me. :)
>>

> You are biased, as you said before. Epiphany still has rendering problems
> in many websites, it doesn't support privacy-enhancing extensions such as
> privacy badger and HTTPS Everywhere, it doens't support custom adblocking
> lists (the default adblocking list only works for global websites and not
> for local ad networks in my country, for example!), it doesn't support many
> newer web platform APIs, doesn't have a sync solution... the list goes on
> and on.

While some of these are nice to have features they're custom add-ons that
most users won't use; if you're to compare them for a default install I
think it'd be more appropriate to compare what they provide out of the box.
So for example in this case, while Epiphany's ad filtering is not as good
it has the advantage of being integrated and available right out of the box.

Evandro