Let's reconsider some more applications installed by default

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Sat Aug 29 15:40:08 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-08-29 at 16:13 +0100, Richard Turner wrote:
> Your argument about networks using DNT as a tracking data point is
> plausible but unsubstantiated, I'd hesitate to declare that's what
> happens
> without inside knowledge. Moreover, if you're correct then not
> setting the
> header at all is better than setting it, surely?

What makes you more trackable is whether you are one of the small
minority of users to change the default setting. :) Especially when
intersected with screen size, timezone, system fonts.... [1] But
really, compared to all the different forms of supercookies nowadays
(localstorage, IndexedDB, WebSQL, HSTS), it is probably not a big deal.

What's more important is that we're fed up with advertising companies
tracking our users. We're going to use technical measures to prevent
that, and they're going to be opt-out, not opt-in. The DNT header is
just the start!

Michael

[1] https://panopticlick.eff.org/index.php?action=log&js=yes