Call for agenda for Workstation WG meeting 2015-Feb-18

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Wed Feb 18 23:39:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:03 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
>> A topic I would like to start discussing is Workstation vs Atomic. It
>> may be too early to put on the agenda yet. I haven't talked to Colin
>> about it and don't have a very concrete proposal, but I think we
>> should have it on our long-term roadmap that we'll end up with a 3
>> layer architecture of host (ideally an atomically updated image),
>> runtime and applications (see alex' work on concrete thoughts about
>> the runtime+app layers).
>
> (I think you meant Workstation + Atomic, not vs. ;) )
>
> I can see that being an option as well, but we really need to figure
> out the "user wants to locally modify the image" problem.  Having to
> rebuild an entire new Atomic image for Workstation just to install
> e.g. vim-enhanced system-wide seems excessive.  It would also then
> deviate from the official Workstation Atomic image.
>
> People are used to yum/dnf install working.  I think it needs to
> continue to work in some fashion before we can really look at adopting
> Atomic.  It is an intriguing idea though, and I can see how it would
> help both QA and the "too many updates" problem.
>
> josh
> --

As a Workstation remixer who is building on Docker and testing Atomic
I welcome this discussion. ;-) But a huge part of my targeted user
base is on Windows and without a solid partnership for Atomic with
Microsoft and Hyper-V, they're going to use Boot2Docker / VirtualBox.

My next release on Fedora 22 may not even be a remix. I'm leaning
towards "install Fedora Workstation and run these scripts" rather than
creating an ISO and an OVA.

It's not Fedora that's the problem - it's the upstream components that
aren't packaged for Fedora / supported on Fedora by the upstream. I
may just push that stuff off into Docker images which most likely
won't be built on Fedora's Docker image base.

--
OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for Digital Journalists
http://www.znmeb.mobi/stories/osjourno-robust-power-tools-for-digital-journalists

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.