Third party repos

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 14:58:01 UTC 2015

On 26 February 2015 at 14:35, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/3rdPartyApps

These are the latest designs from Allan that I've implemented in GNOME
Software in F22 and rawhide:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/software/version2/wire-third-party-repo-dialogs.png

> "The board believes that shipping repository metadata that points at
> non-free software is incompatible with Fedora's foundations"
> and
> "The board believes that reducing technical barriers to explicit user
> choice to install third-party software (non-free or otherwise) is
> compatible with Fedora's foundations."

I had trouble interpreting those two statements, given that the only
technical barrier for finding non-free or not-yet-in-fedora software
*is* repo metadata itself. I assumed the first statement actually
meant "shipping enabled repository metadata" so we don't show it by
default without some other important step.

> The latter statement led to some of the disabled repo work that
> Richard did, IIRC.  It leaves a lot open to interpretation.

Right, as a simple proposal, would it be acceptable for a package to
install something like this into /etc/yum.repos.d:

[google-chrome]
name=google-chrome
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
repo_gpgcheck=1
enabled_metadata=1
gpgkey=https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

So the only time we'd access that repo is with PackageKit when
searching with gnome-software, and we'd only prompt to enable the repo
if it matched a search keyword like "chrome", and then did that with a
big dialog like the mockups warning about the perils and morality of
using nonfree software. Using dnf or yum it would be completely
invisible due to the enabled=0 line. This was basically my proposal
here: http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2015/01/09/finding-hidden-applications-with-gnome-software/
which didn't seem too controversial at the time.

I imagined that we'd ship a fedora-repos-extra package which we could
pull onto just the workstation product using comps, but I'm open for
ideas.

Richard