Linux desktop and high resolution laptops

Peter Laursen jazcyk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 15:51:15 UTC 2015

I am not blaming. I am asking (and provoking a little :-) )..

Since I will need a new laptop for travel soon, I am doing some research
before deciding what to buy. I think it will end up as a 14" model with
HDMI (1920*1440) and not higher - also because I still need Win7 (what will
be hopeless with very high DPI, I believe).

-- Peter

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Jiri Eischmann <eischmann at redhat.com> wrote:

> Josh Boyer píše v Čt 08. 01. 2015 v 16:58 -0500:
>  <snip>
> > GNOME and I believe KDE both are working on this continually.  Both
> > are already very usable.  I have no idea what XFCE is doing, nor any
> > of the other desktop environments.
> >
> > > What say? Was it too provocative?
>
> I don't think Xfce can offer any reasonable HiDPI support without
> finishing the GTK3 port and because they suffer from lack of
> contributors it reportedly may take another 2 years. And that's just
> half a way there because from what I have heard it takes implementing
> Wayland to bring a complete HiDPI support (coping with several monitors
> with different DPIs,...). Wayland is something Xfce developers can't
> even think about until they finish the GTK3 port.
> It's a sad truth that small desktops are failing to cope with new
> hardware, but we should not blame Linux in general.
>
> Jiri
>

> --

Hilsen / Regards

Peter Laursen