Adding xorg-x11-drv-libinput to the Desktop's set of default packages

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 14:45:29 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 12-01-15 13:46, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 5:55 AM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OK.
>>

>> So from the thread on devel@, it seems KDE is going to have issues
>> with libinput in the F22 timeframe.  While GNOME is the base DE for
>> Workstation, KDE was supposed to be a focus area for Workstation with
>> this release.  We have the qt theme under review already, etc.
>>
>> How does this all play out?  Aren't we going to face the same problems
>> here that the KDE spin does?
>

> Running KDE apps on top of the GNOME desktop will not be affected,
> actually even with xorg-x11-drv-libinput installed KDE itself will
> still work fine, the only thing which will not work is KDE's configuration
> applet for configuring touchpad settings like tap-to-click.
>
> If KDE users have xorg-x11-drv-libinput installed (somehow) and they
> want something else then the default touchpad behaviour they can still
> get it but the will need to use xinput from the commandline to change
> the settings; or they can simply do "rpm -e xorg-x11-drv-libinput",
> restart X and have everything as it was in F-21, even if they started
> with the desktop product.
>
> We are planning a gradual transition here, where both the old and new
> xorg drivers will be supported, independent of the DE really, but we
> would like to slowly move towards the new driver, so for F-22 the plan
> is to have GNOME's input configuration bits know how to talk to either
> driver, and have the new driver installed by default on the desktop
> product.

Can't we just make whatever the package that contains the KDE control
panel to carry a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ snippet that enables the
synaptics driver?
That way you get libinput by default and synaptics if you install KDE
... as GNOME handles both it won't break GNOME.

In F23 once KDE is ported we can stop shipping that file.