Adding xorg-x11-drv-libinput to the Desktop's set of default packages

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 15:03:28 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

This does not sound good to me and it sounds like it would be in breach of one
of the defined principles of the Fedora Workstation:
"The Workstation working group will define a set of packages that are considered required be installed in order for the system to qualify as a Fedora Workstation.
Through policy users will be strongly advised against uninstalling any of these packages and there will also be no option in the graphical software installer to
uninstall them. Any optional packages for the Fedora Workstation can not obsolete or in any other way try to remove or disable these packages."

This seems to fall foul with the last sentence since it disables one of the standard packages of the Workstation.

> It may be better to just tell people to do "rpm -e xorg-x11-drv-libinput" if
> they started with the Workstation product and want to use kcm_touchpad, AFAIK
> kcm_touchpad will register itself with the KDE control-panel if the synaptics
> driver is loaded, so if we end up using libinput kcm_touchpad will simple not
> show, rather then break.
>
> So opinions on this anyone ?

I prefer this one, as per the policy mentioned above this way at least people make
an active choice to 'mess up' their system as opposed to packages being installed
doing it 'silently'.

Christian