Windows Dual Boot, with Secure Boot, release criteria

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 15 22:18:49 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:13 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>
wrote:

> > Windows failing to boot from grub with secure boot enabled is a different
> > story. If users can pick Windows in their firmware's boot device menu
> and it
> > boots and grub is simply failing to chainload it, then it's much less
> > critical of an issue, so I'm not sure if it should be a blocker, but it's
> > still a thing we probably want to work too, because it not working does
> hurt
> > the dual-boot user experience a bit.
>
> Some manufacturers are not enabling USB or the keyboard at firmware
> initialization time in order to get faster boots. So it's not
> guaranteed the user can get to the firmware's built-in boot manager.
> In such a case, the user would need to boot Fedora (since they have no
> choice), and then use efibootmgr to change the BootNext NVRAM variable
> (or they can change BootOrder). So that'd need some better
> documentation probably.

One idea that springs to mind is maybe having GNOME adding a "Reboot to
Windows" option somewhere (if Windows is installed), and maybe a settings
panel to select the default OS (I think OS X has something like this -
correct me if I'm wrong).

However, I don't know if this is actually possible (or worth the effort).

--
-Elad Alfassa.