Windows Dual Boot, with Secure Boot, release criteria

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jan 16 00:17:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:

> We don't have a boot loader that supports that[1] unfortunately. Grub support
> kind of stalled:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2013-June/thread.html#11192
>
> [1]: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/

Two options for such a tool:

a.) Modify BootNext or BootOrder in NVRAM via efibootmgr. This uses
the OS specific bootloader, which right now is the only work around
for affected machines that fail to boot Windows via GRUB when Secure
Boot is enabled.

b.) Never change NVRAM, always use our bootloader (GRUB2-EFI right
now), and the tool creates/modifies the appropriate drop-in
bootloaderspec script to tell our bootloader which OS to boot.

I like the idea of b better, however there's no broad agreement for
the bootloaderspec. There's also the upstream and mgj59's versions.
And it wouldn't work for the use case in this thread: Secure Boot
failure when booting Windows via GRUB. We'd still need the source of
that fixed, whether it's a firmware bug or a (Fedora) GRUB bug.

--
Chris Murphy