Windows Dual Boot, with Secure Boot, release criteria

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jan 16 04:42:12 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> It's a very bad problem, but at the same time, we should not block the
> release on something that Fedora has never been able to handle, especially
> when we don't know how to fix it. Once we get it working, then regressing
> should be a blocker.

I got curious and just tried a dual boot installation using Ubuntu
14.10 and it has the same problem. Misery loves company, but it'd have
been nice if someone'd figured out a work around.

> Here's another: if you buy a new computer with Windows 7, it is likely to
> support UEFI and enforce UEFI boot when booting from USB devices, but the
> disk will come with an MBR partition table. I've seen this setup on at least
> two (and I think three) new computers. Good luck trying to install Fedora on
> these machines. :(

I think we're OK because both the Windows installer and boot process
depend on matching BIOS to MBR and UEFI to GPT. Even though UEFI
supports MBR booting, Microsoft doesn't.

If these are UEFI computers, the drive uses GPT, or the manufacturer
has enabled legacy booting (CSM-BIOS) and MBR partition scheme is
used. We can install Fedora in either case. And regardless USB can be
either GPT or MBR, UEFI supports both.

--
Chris Murphy