Windows Dual Boot, with Secure Boot, release criteria

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Fri Jan 16 16:46:29 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Chris Murphy
<lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> If these are UEFI computers, the drive uses GPT, or the manufacturer
> has enabled legacy booting (CSM-BIOS) and MBR partition scheme is
> used. We can install Fedora in either case. And regardless USB can be
> either GPT or MBR, UEFI supports both.

They are UEFI computers where the manufacturer has enabled legacy
booting (CSM-BIOS) and the MBR partition scheme is used, but where
legacy boot is very difficult to enable for USBs. Every new Windows 7
computer I've seen in the past year (small sample size: two or maybe
three) has been set up like this.

On my computers, I have two boot options for each USB: normal UEFI boot
and legacy boot. On these new computers, the legacy boot option is not
present at all; to get to it, you have to muck around with the
motherboard settings (normally to completely disable UEFI boot), and
invariably there is no clear way to get to those (so prepare to press a
bunch of function keys and reboot many times). Fedora can only be
installed if you can manage to find the legacy boot option. By default,
the boot menu is not presented at all: you'll just boot into Fedora
after inserting the USB stick, and installation will fail with an
obscure error message (complaining about the lack of an EFI system
partition -- of course there is none!) at the partitioning stage.