Wallpaper Cleanup

Allan Day allanpday at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 09:54:12 UTC 2015

Hi all,

A clarification: I didn't intend to propose an alternative to Ryan's
plan. There's no reason not to move ahead with that, as far as I'm
concerned.

Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Basically, the proposal is to clean out the wallpapers that we currently
>>> present to the user, and just show:
>> Actually, I think that it would be advantageous to be a bit bolder.
>> What I would love to see is wallpapers that:
> Can you provide an example of how this might look in an actual set of
> wallpapers? would the defaults be a single set or multiple sets.

I think it's probably best for us to discuss these ideas elsewhere
(sorry for hijacking your thread!) Since you asked, some brief details
of what I had in mind:

It could be a single set, or it could be a small number of sets. The
main thing that I would be interested to see is a clearer sense that
the images go together, which would require a fairly tight definition
of each set. For example: close up photographs of animals, macro
photographs of flowers, or a particular series of abstract graphics.
If assembling a set of photographs, it could also be nice to try and
keep the overall style the same (composition, depth of field, colour
level, brightness, etc - although I know that could be challenging).

> The Fedora Design team has created wallpapers for each release, and I don't
> think that should change. This wallpaper is key when it comes to marketing,
> as most reviewers use the background when reviewing, so having a new
> wallpaper for each release is a good thing here, and helps define the
> workstation flavor.

Regarding the default wallpaper, one thing I would be really
interested in is having consistency across releases, so the default
wallpaper comes to define the identity of the product in a more
significant way. This would require us to identify a theme that could
be varied for each version.

Allan