Webapps for developers

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 19:26:09 UTC 2015

On 01/23/2015 02:18 PM, Peter Laursen wrote:
> I think focus for Fedora Desktop  is sliding when this talk about " ..
> for developers" comes up.  Developers can figure out themselves how to
> install whatever of that kind (with or without RPM packages) . I
> thought focus of Fedora Desktop was "for ordinary computer users" and
> not "for developers" primarily.
>
> What does *DESKTOP* mean? It is the one sitting 40 centimeters from
> your nose, simply. Media, codecs, social networking apps etc. is what
> it is about.  Forget about "webapps" in a "Desktop" edition (as a
> default install at least).
>

> -- P eter

I think there is a little confusion on the definition of "Web App" in
the context of this thread. We are *not* talking about, say installing
Wordpress from the fedora repos so you can set up a wordpress instance
on your machine. Web apps in this context means that you could install a
package for "github" on your desktop, so it provides you a menu entry in
GNOME Shell, and when opened it provides a stripped down web browser
that just opens github.com. An added benefit of doing it this way is
that it behaves as a "application" in the workstation, so you can
alt-tab between other windows and "github".

cheers,
ryanlerch