Webapps for developers

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Fri Jan 23 20:11:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
> I think there is a little confusion on the definition of "Web App" in
> the context of this thread. We are *not* talking about, say installing
> Wordpress from the fedora repos so you can set up a wordpress instance
> on your machine. Web apps in this context means that you could
> install a
> package for "github" on your desktop, so it provides you a menu entry
> in
> GNOME Shell, and when opened it provides a stripped down web browser
> that just opens github.com. An added benefit of doing it this way is
> that it behaves as a "application" in the workstation, so you can
> alt-tab between other windows and "github".

In particular, the web app has no tabs, and if you try to open a tab it
will open a full browser instead. Web apps aren't suitable for
arbitrary sites like GitHub or Stack Exchange where you are probably
going to want to open multiple tabs at once. They work well for sites
that actually behave more like applications: I use one for Duolingo,
for example, but they'd also work for Facebook, Google+, Gmail,
Grooveshark....