Evince browser plugin

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Sat Jan 24 23:37:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

I noticed the Evince browser plugin is not installed by default. It was
split into a subpackage to accommodate organizations that are concerned
about the security implications of displaying PDFs in the web browser,
and nothing installs the subpackage. This plugin is very good, and I
want it to be installed by default for all Epiphany users who have
Evince installed, as intended by upstream. (For Firefox users, it
doesn't matter because Firefox will use its own built-in PDF viewer in
preference to the plugin, Firefox makes it click-to-run which sucks,
and Firefox hangs when it dlopens a GTK+ 3 plugin anyway.)

The correct solution in most distros would be for the evince package to
have a Recommends for the evince-browser-plugin package, so that users
get it by default but sysadmins can decide not to install it if need
be. But we can't use Recommends yet. :S

So there are a few options I can think of:

* Add a Requires from evince to evince-browser-plugin, to be changed
into a Recommends once we're allowed to use those. This will sadden
those who do not want the browser plugin, but it's the most "correct"
approach.
* Add a Requires from epiphany-runtime to evince-browser-plugin. That
would make Epiphany depend on Evince, and we don't want apps to depend
on other apps, so this is my least favorite option. But it is
preferable to users having to discover and install the plugin
themselves. (It's a good plugin. :)
* Add evince-browser-plugin to the Fedora Workstation group in comps.
This is yucky since it only benefits Epiphany users, and Epiphany is
not installed by default. But I think it's preferable to a Requires
from Epiphany to Evince.

Any preferences or other suggestions? (If anyone can think of an option
that's actually good, that would be dandy.)

Michael