Webapps for developers

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon Jan 26 00:19:31 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 7:32 PM, Liam <liam.bulkley at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, I don't think it does. They use indexdb so you can store the docs
> offline. As Michael said, this feature only just landed in, I guess,
> webkit2-gtk (or whatever it's called).

WebKitGTK+. Why are you looking to replace it?
> Additionally, in the not very distant future, we're going to want to
> take a careful look at the servo as a replacement to webkit2 since
> they are supporting the chromium embedding framework, and their
> radically advanced architecture.

Well, I'm curious why you see Chromium Embedded Framework as a
strength. I don't doubt it's great for many purposes, but for GNOME?
With WebKit, Apple has been a fairly good partner, accommodating us to
make sure we can do the things we want to do at every level of their
stack. That will never be permitted with Chromium/Blink.

Anyway, servo is extremely interesting simply because it's written in
Rust, and hopefully that means a huge security benefit. But it's a
research project in the very early stages of development. We should
keep an eye on it, for sure.