Webapps for developers

Liam liam.bulkley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 23:40:36 UTC 2015

Sent from mYphone
On Jan 27, 2015 11:42 PM, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb at znmeb.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Liam <liam.bulkley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, that's the fundamental issue but I don't think we're going to get
any
> > movement on this at this point in time. The answer Workstation has gone
with
> > was that it's for both, but with a bit of an emphasis on
> > developers/producers (I agree that the later term is better and
emphasizes
> > how we should think).
> > My personal position has been that we should target ONLY producers.
Make an
> > environment that helps them achieve their goals more easily/quicker or
even
> > at all. That's what would draw people to the Fedora Workstation.
>
> At this stage of the Linux lifecycle (20+ years and counting) you have
> to ask, "What would take people *away* from Debian and Ubuntu and
> guide them into the world of Fedora, RHEL and CentOS?" I don't think
> you're going to get people off of Macs, and if they're on Windows they
> live in a different world entirely. ;-)

I'm not talking about "people" I'm talking about producers, exclusively. At
this point a majority of macs are being sold to people, but it used to be
that they were used by creatives and schools. Why? Mostly app availability
but also a perception that apple was developing for them in particular.
With osx they took a massive leap forward with their tech and actual began
to offer better workflows than windows. THAT'S what we should be trying to
do. It's not easy but it's something that would definitely bring new users.
It would finally provide us with a compelling story for those who aren't
passionate about floss. As it is, Linux, on the desktop, has no compelling
advantages over osx/windows.

> And honestly, if you're developing *for* RHEL / CentOS, why would you
> run a Fedora desktop instead of an RHEL / CentOS desktop? Fedora's
> only 2.5 releases newer than Fedora 19, the basis for RHEL 7.

A lot has happened in those 2.5 releases;)
Reasons to run Fedora are several: more recent software, chance to
see/guide changes that will make their way to rhel, and easiest for
upstream developers (obviously).

<snip>

> Indeed. I've seen a few posts go by in this thread praising Mozilla -
> let me add to the chorus. Obviously there are lawyer-accountant things
> that would have to be done, but I think a Fedora (Red Hat) partnership
> with Mozilla is a damn good idea. I gave up on Chrome and Chromium a
> long time ago. Firefox Developer Edition and HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript is
> where it's at unless you're targeting iOS.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with Fedora and Mozilla. I know there's
at least one Fedora member who's leading the effort in porting Firefox to
gtk3, but, other than that, there doesn't seem to be much collaboration.