Webapps for developers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Jan 29 00:29:47 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Liam <liam.bulkley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not talking about "people" I'm talking about producers, exclusively. At
> this point a majority of macs are being sold to people, but it used to be
> that they were used by creatives and schools. Why? Mostly app availability
> but also a perception that apple was developing for them in particular. With
> osx they took a massive leap forward with their tech and actual began to
> offer better workflows than windows. THAT'S what we should be trying to do.
> It's not easy but it's something that would definitely bring new users. It
> would finally provide us with a compelling story for those who aren't
> passionate about floss. As it is, Linux, on the desktop, has no compelling
> advantages over osx/windows.

The creators / producers I know (a small sample, localized to PDX) are
almost 100 percent MacOS X and nearly all of them develop with Chrome
and only test on other browsers. There's a small Linux subset, mostly
running Ubuntu LTS. We have a Mozilla lab here so there's probably
more Firefox here than in places where Mozilla doesn't have a lab. I
run Fedora and Firefox.

> A lot has happened in those 2.5 releases;)
> Reasons to run Fedora are several: more recent software, chance to see/guide
> changes that will make their way to rhel, and easiest for upstream
> developers (obviously).

I run Fedora because it's great for doing remixes. I used to run
openSUSE for the same reason; I switched when "Beefy Miracle" was in
mid-beta.

> Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with Fedora and Mozilla. I know there's
> at least one Fedora member who's leading the effort in porting Firefox to
> gtk3, but, other than that, there doesn't seem to be much collaboration.

I'd also throw a +1 or two for packaging Firefox Developer Edition,
although the upstream changes almost every day - there would need to
be a fair amount of automated testing tied to it given that. Firefox
stable seems to change fairly regularly too.