Patent-free software where it makes sense

Alex Puchades alex94puchades at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 14:04:17 UTC 2015

Ok, as I said, I'm relatively new to this mailing list, so I'd be grateful
if you could provide me some of the threads targetting this issue. I'm not
simply proposing this software to be added to the installer, but I'm
proposing to discuss the reasons involved and if there's a legal reason
where simply pointing users to RPMFusion, for example, would mean that
Fedora is breaking patent laws.

I am sorry if it has already been discussed, but if this subject crops from
time to time, I think that's a reason to reconsider that there exists a
real problem. And if so, I guarantee there are people that have the will to
help, myself included.

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Alex Puchades <alex94puchades at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi, my name is Alex and I've been a Fedora user for a long time. Also,
> I'm
> > quite new to this list. I know a lot of people (myself included) that
> agree
> > with Fedora not integrating propietary software into the system, as
> Ubuntu
> > does in many different ways, especially in the installer. To put things
> > clear, I'd never advocate for that.
> >
> > However, there's one issue I think deserves a little more consideration.
> > There is another kind of software that is perfectly fine free software
> but
> > is also excluded from a default Fedora install. That is, patent
> encumbered
> > software. As you know, there are some patents that are not valid outside
> USA
> > (ie: subpixel rendering, MP3). That software is provided in third-party
> > repositories like RPMFusion in the form of "-freetype" packages.
> >
> > The lack-by-default of these packages presents a clear usability issue
> for
> > non-quite-that-technical users and it greatly hurts the user experience
> for
> > everyone. So, is there any way that Fedora could enforce this patent-free
> > position where it makes sense (the USA), but includes it (or at least
> gives
> > the user the option at installation time) if allowed by local laws?
>
> This has been discussed many many times over the years.  The problem
> you highlight is accurate, but the answer, in short, is no.
>
> josh
> --

Álex Puchades