Patent-free software where it makes sense

Alex Puchades alex94puchades at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 17:50:27 UTC 2015

That's great news! Though I personally consider OGG to be technically
superior, but I guess that's slightly off-topic. Anyway.

I know one has to be very careful about breaking patents in general, and
I'm not even suggesting RedHat to do so. But I thought software patents
were only recognised in USA*, and invalid in almost every other country. If
that were the case, then there wouldn't be any legal issues outside the
USA. And so we could proceed to solve the other (technical, political,
economical and philosophical) issues left.

The root of this thread is, I want Fedora to provide the best User
Experience possible out-of-the-box. If subpixel rendering, for example,
can't be enabled in USA, then Fedora can't possibly use it. But why punish
the rest of the world for that single eventuality?

* Issues I plan to bring up in fedora-legal, once I've read a little more
about the matter.

--
Álex Puchades