Patent-free software where it makes sense

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Wed Jun 10 18:29:41 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-06-10 at 11:55 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>  The MP3 situation is better,
> since the last known patent expires in September; we'll include it in
> F23 unless the lawyers give us some unexpected reason not to.

Correction: we're only going to include it if the lawyers say we can,
because there are a few more patents left (I was wrong, oops). They're
probably invalid because they were filed half a decade after MP3 was
finished, but it's up to Red Hat and not us to decide what to do about
that, since they're assuming all the
risk.