Patent-free software where it makes sense

Alex Puchades alex94puchades at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 21:21:03 UTC 2015

It seems [1] that there are mixed opinions about the matter. I'll check
with fedora-legal. In any case, things like this [2][3][4] are really sad.

[1] https://fsfe.org/campaigns/swpat/swpat.en.html
[2] http://david.freetype.org/cleartype-patents.html
[3] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/europes-unitary-patent.html
[4] http://www.epo.org/news-issues/issues/unitary-patent.html

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 19:59:05 +0200,
>  Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The funny thing about the MP3 patent expiring is that really MP3 is
>> going away, and has been going away for some time now; AAC encoded
>> audio in an MP4 container is becoming more prevalent these days, and
>> of course AAC is another codec you can't legally add in a distro that
>> resides in the u.s. .... so it looks like a race, one that Linux is
>> losing unless users add 3rd party repos that can package those
>> patent-encumbered codecs; 3rd party repos have a lower risk of getting
>> sued, since they're individuals and suing them wouldn't bring in that
>> much money anyway (you need to sue a big wealthy company to justify
>> the lawyer hourly fees :)), of course IANAL, so don't take my views on
>> legal matters to heart.
>>

> Opus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_%28codec%29) has become an
> important audio codec that doesn't have patent problems.
>
> --

Álex Puchades