concern over fedora's meeting videos

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Thu Jun 11 01:29:50 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-06-10 at 19:47 -0500, kendell clark wrote:
> hi
> Ah, then my email wasn't needed then. I'd still rather fedora used an
> oss tool to do this, but I trust fedora knows what it's doing, and
> will switch when one that's good enough comes around.
> Thanks
> Kendell clark

I didn't realize the Council uses Google Hangouts for communication.
Are you sure; where did you read that? That's extremely surprising and
would be contrary to Fedora's mission, since it's impossible to use
Hangouts without installing nonfree software on your computer. It's not
as if we don't already have good FOSS solutions for video calls: either
XMPP Jingle or SIP would work. (But this is definitely the wrong
mailing list for this discussion....)

Aside: you can also use Epiphany for Google hangouts. You have to
install the nonfree plugin, but then it works. The maintainer of Orca
also works on accessibility for WebKit, the rendering engine used in
Epiphany, so she makes sure accessibility is well-supported (once you
figure out how to turn on caret browsing with F7).

Aside #2: I searched the Chromium source tree for "accessibility" and
"ATK" and found no shortage of results for each. It looks like they
have a bundled copy of ATK. https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/0e9bcce45c12479259c705a07a6b4b1e73b84bf2
 is interesting; not sure what to make of it besides that they deleted all their Linux
accessibility
code and then decided to bring it back?