F23 changes and the workstation

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 17:28:26 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:31:15PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 09:44:48AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > I think we should take a look at other changes that are in the queue
> > for F23 with an eye towards unexpected surprises like that.
>
> In the last two releases, watching changes and the communications
> around them, I think we often have this kind of failure of
> expectations. We (Fedora in general) need to continue to work on that.
> Often, change-filers expect that by having their change accepted, it's
> now on everyone else. And conversely, often other groups feel like
> the change owners should have covered everything. That ends up being
> more adversarial than it should be.
>
> I think it's good to think of the filed Changes as a communications
> vehicles but not the complete communication itself. The change owners
> *should* be more active about starting discussions with affected
> groups, but aren't always experts on what those effects might actually
> be, so it's important for others to do exactly as you say — make sure
> to keep an eye on changes as they're filed.
>
> I think this is a good general responsibility for the WG FESCo liasons —
> watch the changes as they come in and make sure the rest of the WG is
> aware. Of course, that doesn't mean that others can't watch too.

Yes.  I had told Matthew I would mention this change to the WG
yesterday but since I was in non-stop meetings 9am-6:30pm, I didn't
get to it.  Looks like it wasn't a blocker since people found the
Change, and AIUI Allan is talking with the devs to see what can be
done to make this Change workable across Fedora including Workstation.