Fedora runtime and apps (again)

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 14:18:35 UTC 2015

On ons, 2015-06-10 at 17:05 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Hi, it's me again. I've been doing some more work on a fedora-based
> runtime and apps for xdg-app.
>
> First of all I've cleaned up the runtime itself. It is now consists
> of
> a new rpm, "fedora-runtime"[1], which has a bunch of requires for all
> the packages which are supposed to be in the runtime, as well as some
> special configuration (ld.so, fontconfig) needed in the runtime.
> There is also a fedora-sdk rpm which pulls in fedora-runtime + dnf
> and
> a few development tools.
>
> I've built these rpms in the copr here:
>   https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/alexl/fedora-runtime/

I've done some further changes to the runtime, including rebasing it on
rawhide. I also managed to create a version of the fedora-app-build
that contains all rpm macros for building app-bundled version of the
fedora rpms, and i've made a copr repo that automatically builds such
rpms:
   https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/alexl/fedora-apps/

In this copr I then built evince and gedit + their non-runtime
dependencies, so that you can easily build app bundles based on these.
In fact the git repo has a simple script (build-demo-apps.sh) that
builds them.

I pushed a new repo with these runtimes and app, so you can easily try
rawhide version of gedit and evince on fedora 22 like this:

    xdg-app add-remote --no-gpg-verify --user fedora     http://fedorapeople.org/~alexl/repo/
    xdg-app install-runtime --user fedora org.fedoraproject.Platform 23
    xdg-app install-runtime --user fedora org.fedoraproject.Sdk 23
    xdg-app install-app --user fedora org.gnome.gedit
    xdg-app install-app --user fedora org.gnome.evince

It seems to me that this setup is working, and with some packaging work
making sure the right things are in the runtime and that any spec
changes needed for building with a different prefix then we could
essentially have a read-only-/usr Atomic-based Fedora Workstation that
allows you to install (not-super-sandboxed) desktop apps.

Proving that basically concludes my experiments though. If we really
want that to happen we need more than one person kinda playing around
with this.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an uncontrollable guerilla cowboy with no name. She's an enchanted
red-headed archaeologist on the trail of a serial killer. They fight
crime!