Fwd: Submission deadline for Changes of Fedora 23

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Thu Jun 25 16:37:11 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-06-19 at 12:25 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > Sadly, I don't have anybody free to work on this in the short
> > > term. We
> > > can probably pick this up in August, but by then it may be too
> > > late for
> > > F23.

Wait, are we talking about integrating distro upgrade support into
PackageKit/gnome-software, or into DNF itself?

If the latter - i.e. there's nobody on the DNF team who will have time
to work on integrating system-upgrade stuff - I'll happily volunteer to
write patches...

> > What's the fallback option here? Find someone to keep FedUp working
> > for
> > one more release?
>
> Either that, or we have people resort only to something like
> fedora-upgrade.  Frankly, changing twice in the course of two
> releases
> won't build user confidence, though.  cc'ing wwoods to see what he
> thinks.

I really don't think it'd be hard to move dnf-plugins-fedup into DNF
and/or dnf-plugins-core. It's really, really simple - like ~240 lines
of code, most of which is implementing offline updates + plymouth
output support. (for comparison, fedup-0.9.2 is ~2450 lines of code.)

Also - doesn't fedora-upgrade require yum? Isn't that supposed to be
deprecated?

-w