self introduction

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue Mar 17 01:28:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 17:02 -0500, kendell clark wrote:
> hi
> Sounds good. I'll take a look. I'm also about to begin work on the
> accessibility guide, most of which needs to be rewritten,
> accessibility is much easier than it was back in 2011. I'm still not
> able to log in to FAS, last I heard someone had contacted fedora admin
> for my initial password, but no word back yet. I have to say, I find
> fedora a really pleasant OS, not only in terms of the software it has,
> which is all I need, but also in the community. The irc channels are
> very helpful, and I've learned a lot so far. There are some rather
> serious bugs in the upcoming gnome 3.16, and I'm not sure where to go
> to report them. The #gnome and #gnome-a11y channels in irc.gnome.org
> seem to be dead, not many people respond to queeries. In particular,
> gdm seems to be inaccessible in 3.16. I'm almost positive this is
> because it's using wayland by default, and there's some strange issue
> with wayland that keeps orca from being able to read the window. If it
> were to fall back to x, or the wayland issue were to be fixed it would
> work fine. There are lots of unlabeled buttons in gnome's user
> interface, mostly in the control center modules. There are also
> duplicate buttons, in the power and notifications parts of control
> center. And this is probably way off topic, just thought I'd bring it
> up here. I'm unable to file a bug yet until I get my password.
> Thanks
> Kendell clark
> Sent from Fedora 21 GNU/Linux

Hi!

Well bugzilla.gnome.org is the only place to report GNOME bugs. For bugs
that aren't reported against an accessibility product, add the
accessibility keyword if you can. TBH, there aren't enough people
working on accessibility nowadays and they're mostly focused on the core
frameworks rather than application issues, so just filing bugs is no
guarantee they will be fixed, but that's an important first step and the
help would be greatly appreciated.

For the most serious ones, like "gdm completely inaccessible," IRC is
absolutely a good idea, but the channel is #a11y (on irc.gnome.org) not
#gnome-a11y -- that would be your problem. :) I see joanie (Igalia) and
mgorse (SUSE) on that channel right now, both active accessibility folks
who may or may not be able to help. halfline (Red Hat, gdm maintainer)
is on that channel as well.

Thanks for your work on updating the accessibility guide! It's great to
see enthusiastic new contributors.

P.S. The upstream accessibility homepage is
https://wiki.gnome.org/Accessibility -- you can tell it's a bit out of
date by the dates on the two-year roadmap at the top. The accessibility
folks were hit hard when Oracle bought Sun and fired the accessibility
team. :(