frustrated with the state of linux accessibility

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Mar 18 18:23:58 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 07:44:42PM -0500, kendell clark wrote:
> So many desktops I cannot use. Kde, xfce, lxde, lxqt,
> cinnamon. So many applications I cannot use. Chrome/chromium,
> applications written for x, rather than using a gui toolkit like gtk
> or qt, applications that use something other than gtk or qt for their
> toolkit.
Hi,

if gnome almost works for you, for some definition of almost, then I
think you should direct your efforts at improving gnome. As the default
desktop in Fedora Workstation it has the highest exposure, and is most
likely to reach the "critical mass" of accessibility-requiring-users.

gnome-software is slowly discouraging people from installing packages
using old toolkits. This already aligns with your needs. Applications
are scored on a number of features, like large icons, proper
descriptive text, etc. Accessibility support was not on that list to
the best of my memory. Maybe you could work with Richard Huges — the
author of gnome—software — to add bonus points to applications which
score well in this regard.

Zbyszek