GDM Shield

Adam Batkin adam at batkin.net
Fri Mar 20 00:10:48 UTC 2015

On 03/17/2015 07:44 PM, Diogo Campos (gmail) wrote:
>> It's really annoying to have to drag it out of the way or hit a
>> specific key on the keyboard to dismiss it.
>
> Just type your password, dude.

That's not the issue. Once my monitors are in powersave, I usually nudge
the mouse (or hit the control key since that can't do any damage) to
force it out of powersave. I expect my PC to be right where I left it.
The shield is not where I left it.

Just starting to type a password is not the answer. Sure, that may be a
great shortcut for some people, but it's not obvious that's what I
should do when I see the shield. And I use lots of computers with lots
of operating systems every day, so having to do something different on
only this one (drag away a useless shield - because let's face it, it
*is* useless) forces me to think about something that should completely
automatic.

I know it's a small thing, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks
this way about the shield, and just because it's a small thing doesn't
mean that it's annoying. I'm quite surprised that no one has at least
made it configurable, given that it serves no purpose and is a different
behavior than every other computer I have ever used (including most
Linux until recently).

-Adam Batkin