GDM Shield

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 20 12:16:58 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Marco Scannadinari <m at scannadinari.co.uk>
wrote:

> I think the problem is that, while it is easy to just start typing the
> password or press ESC/Enter, these things have close to zero affordance -
> it is very much not obvious that this functionality is present.
> I think that it would be best to move the password box into the shield, or
> move notifications into the password screen, removing the shield
> altogether. Either way, there should be clear visual indication of what the
> user can do to exit the lock screen.
>
> -Marco

fwiw
1) There are animated arrows on the lock screen showing the direction you
need to drag it.
2) Pressing Escape to dismiss things has been a common pattern for years.
3) Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have a similar lock screen shield that is
dismissed in the same way.

I don't think any of the interactions with the shield are unclear or
confusing.

Regardless, this is not the right place to discuss upstream design
decisions.
--
-Elad Alfassa.