GDM Shield

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:28:46 UTC 2015

V Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:16:58 +0200
Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org> napsáno:

> fwiw
> 1) There are animated arrows on the lock screen showing the direction
> you need to drag it.
No it's not obvious. Not for me. Type your password to unlock is
obvious for anyone.

> 2) Pressing Escape to dismiss things has been a common pattern for
> years.
Pressing Ctrl to wake up display and show unlock dialog has been a
common pattern for years.

> 3) Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have a similar lock screen shield
> that is dismissed in the same way.
Yeah, it took me five minutes to figure out how in the world am I
supposed to get in. Seriously. And I'm not by in any way a newbie, I've
been using computers since Win 3.1 and I've been a happy linux user,
packager and even a little bit of a programmer since about red hat
7 (although full-time since fedora core 5).

> I don't think any of the interactions with the shield are unclear or
> confusing.

Yes they are. To experienced desktop computer users at the very least.
They might seem normal for people used to modern touch screen devices,
but desktop computer isn't a freaking tablet for heavens sake.

Either have drag to unlock, or show a password dialog to unlock. Not
both.

> Regardless, this is not the right place to discuss upstream design
> decisions.
Yes, I realise, even though many of the people subscribed here are
actually upstream devs...

Martin

PS:
<uselessrant>
The software of modern computers is becoming more and more complex
under hood and at the same time more and more stupid and less and less
usable. Devs are focusing on removing pretty much everything, or at
least shuffling controls with every release. Less and less can be
configured, bugs are getting more and more unpredictable, system more
unstable, even if it has less features it needs more power and
memory, icons are so simple they look like from b&w devices (not to
talk about being visual guides, half of the icons are so simple they
tell me nothing what are they for), gradients in UI are mostly gone,
there are less and less obvious visual guides, even installation isn't
a simple linear process any more. While sometimes disputed, modern UI
is targeted primarily on tablet-like devices. Traditional mouse +
keyboard users need different kind of UI, but devs try to satisfy both
with one universal UI. Sorry, but middle way is almost always wrong.
Please, focus on one, not both at the same time, they're incompatible.

Things like this are what makes my head explode when I need to work
with Windows at work (especially with anything newer than Win XP) and
they are the same things that made me finally switch from Fedora to
CentOS. Sorry guys, but I need transparent, stable, yet sufficiently
modern system with traditional desktop (thank heavens for xfce) that I
don't need to reinstall/upgrade every 6 months.
</uselessrant>