frustrated with the state of linux accessibility

Florian Müllner fmuellner at gnome.org
Fri Mar 20 20:34:21 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:46 AM kendell clark <coffeekingms at gmail.com>
wrote:

> just curious. What changed in gnome 3.16 to make status icons
> inaccessible? In gnome 3.14, the message tray was never inaccessible.

Status icons were decoupled from notifications, and the message tray was
removed altogether, as well as the items that grouped notifications
(usually by application). The latter was what provided
accessible-name/event handling for status icons,  not the icons themselves
- so when the icons were moved, I overlooked the missing accessibility
features that used to be provided by the removed bits.

> Some of the icons wouldn't let me access their pop up menu but they
> all corresponded with their application. EG pidgin internet messenger,
> vlc media player, etc. Is this still the case with the icons being
> moved to the bottom left of the screen?

Yes, with the patches from the aforementioned bug.  It is still up to the
application providing the icon to handle keyboard events, but at least
almost all icons should have a name.