Password policy changes

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 24 15:36:28 UTC 2015

Hey, folks. I'm writing with my Server SIG member hat on, here. We've
been discussing password policy changes at our meeting today.

So the Great Password Policy Bunfight of 2015 was resolved by anaconda
creating a mechanism for products/spins to set their own password
policy:

https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/commit/8f24eeaedd7691b6ebe119592e5bc09c1c42e181

I'm slightly worried, however, about the possibility that everyone
goes out and picks a more lenient policy more or less at random and we
wind up with different policies on every Fedora medium. That seems
like it'd be needlessly confusing to users and difficult to document.

I'm wondering if those products/spins intending to set a policy weaker
than the default could all agree on the same one, so there'd only be
at most two policies to care about (and if all products/spins overrode
the upstream default, there'd only be one).

The obvious choice would be the pre-F22 policy, which I believe should
be:

--nostrict --minlen=6 --minquality=50 --nochanges --emptyok

(though it's not *entirely* clear from the code - I think it used
pwquality upstream defaults - so I may be a bit off).

What's the general feeling here? Have other SIGs discussed this yet?
Come to any decisions? Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey