Request to include gnome-maps by default in F22

Allan Day allanpday at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:40:11 UTC 2015

Alberto Ruiz <aruiz at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Allan and I would like to include gnome-maps in the default
>> Workstation installation in Fedora 22. It is a nice little core GNOME
>> application (like Clocks and Weather) that has come a long way. In
>> GNOME 3.16 (ie.  Fedora 22), it has Foursquare and Facebook
>> integration for check-ins.
>>
>> Having the application in the default installation would let us turn
>> on the the Foursquare provider in gnome-online-accounts. Otherwise,
>> users will be looking at an option that they can't use out of the box,
>> which is bad.
>
> Nothing against adding the app per-se but the rationale seems a bit
> troublesome.

One part of the rationale, perhaps. I agree that "because we have a
GOA account for it" is a bit backwards.

That said, there are other good reasons to include Maps. It is a handy
application to have in the default install, and useful as a utility,
in the same way as a dictionary, Clocks or Weather. From GNOME 3.16,
Maps has two-way integration with Contacts - you can search for
contacts from within Maps, and Contacts includes small maps for
addresses (which act as a link to Maps).

So, key arguments: it's useful, in a good state, actively developed,
and is increasingly integrated with the rest of the core utilities.

Allan