Request to include gnome-maps by default in F22

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Mar 26 21:43:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Andreas Nilsson <lists at andreasn.se> wrote:
> On 2015-03-26 19:40, Allan Day wrote:
>>
>> That said, there are other good reasons to include Maps. It is a handy
>> application to have in the default install, and useful as a utility,
>> in the same way as a dictionary, Clocks or Weather. From GNOME 3.16,
>> Maps has two-way integration with Contacts - you can search for
>> contacts from within Maps, and Contacts includes small maps for
>> addresses (which act as a link to Maps).
>

> Btw, seems the two big desktop OSes; OSX and Windows 10 both come with Maps
> apps build it these days.
>
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-maps
> https://www.apple.com/osx/all-features/#maps
>
> - Andreas

Don't get me started on Windows 10 as a productivity workstation. ;-)

I'm fine with having maps *available*. I'm *not* fine with having it
installed by default and having to remove it or de-configure it. For
that matter I feel the same way about Weather - I just haven't gone to
the trouble of configuring it out / removing it. Heck, it's only been
since midway of the F21 cycle that I haven't removed Boxes after an
install. ;-)